The conservation of Gunns Mill was always destined to be high on the agenda of any organisation interested in the care of our local heritage. The challenge is the cost of the work necessary and the identification of a sustainable end use. To this end the Trust has:
- Liaised with English Heritage (now Historic England) and sought appropriate consents where needed.
- Commissioned an ecological survey
- Rebuilt missing boundary walls, fenced and gated the site. Removed scrub and litter.
- Commissioned a structural engineering site survey, advice and specifications
- Commissioned archaeological surveys including ground radar and resistivity
- Commissioned detailed building recording surveys and research
- Commissioned inspection and maintenance of the scaffold and shoring.
- Re clad the mill building with a new weatherproof membrane
- Created car parking space, site office & store, and landscaping
- Created a viewing platform with interpretation for the public and visitors
- Commissioned conservation architects Caroe & Co of Ledbury to draw up options
- Rebuilt absent retaining walls
- Removed the surviving roof slates to safe storage for eventual re-roofing
- Made contact with the local community, parish and district councils
- Supplied talks and lectures to interest groups and opened on Heritage Open Days
- Employed a professional project manager to develop a Round One bid to the HLF
The Trust is very grateful for the advice, support and funding it has received from: The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust, Historic England, Architectural Heritage Fund, Forest of Dean Local Action Programme, the Heritage Lottery Fund and individual donors.
Reg. Charity No. 114775. A company limited by guarantee No. 6859885.
Registered Office: Security Office, Whitecliff Quarry, Coleford, GL16 8NB